Wednesday 1 November 2017

Traitor-ish terminator mashup

This was one of those "grab something out of the lead pile" projects, and it helped that he was already assembled and primed when he emerged. I decided to make him a Word Bearer so I went for a modern colour scheme to suit this Legion:




He's a classic RT era traitor terminator - or at least his body is - one of three that was available back in the day (image from Stuff of Legends website):


The thing is, he had "loyalist" arms, so I retconned him to being "on the turn" to chaos in the Horus Heresy.

I base-coated him in Vallejo Black Red, which I find to be a great base colour for any dark/deep red colour scheme. I then painted him with Forge World's Word Bearers Red paint, with a final highlight of Foundry scarlet. The greens are various GW greens, and I like the way they look with the red.

Now the trouble is that when I started painting him I noticed he had some pretty bad mould slippage, which went beyond simple mould lines. You may be able to see some of it on the bolter and bolter arm shoulder plate. I managed to ignore this initially but as the painting went on it started annoying me more and more, until eventually I just rushed to finish (which is probably evident by the colour of the sword!).

Lesson learned - next time check the figure carefully before starting...

9 comments:

  1. Lovely work, Steve! How do you find the FW paints to paint with, in terms of coverage? They thin? Thick? Opaque? Translucent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. I found the FW red went on the black red base really nicely. They are "pre-thinned" as it were being airbrush paints, so I used them straight from the pot and they layered nicely.

      Delete
    2. Good stuff. The pot designs they use as well mean they'll keep for years. Wish standard GW paints can in those.

      Delete
  2. I am working on a pair of RT era Chaos Terminators as well. I do think that they hold up quite well compared to their newer counterparts, with the main difference being that they don't have a spikey fence on their backs. And yes, mine are also not perfect casts either...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My loyalist terminators from this era have the same problem- the lead ones seem more prone to it than the later casts.

      Delete
  3. I hate when this happens, I see a Blog post and it makes me want to dig out my ones again. Still stunning PJ Steveo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter the setbacks, the paintjob on this one is great and suits totally the mini, I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice - the green spot colour is a very nice touch.

    ReplyDelete